Hey Now!!
Life has finally settled down. New car, new pad, same girlfriend, same job. That is a pretty good formula with those variables. I, however, feel I have been teetering on the most mentally unstable point of my life. Age is something that is not to be toyed with. I poo poo'd the thought of aging so much through my 20's and 30's that, as this pirate looks at forty, I am sitting in a state of shock. Not only at my own mortality, but at the mortality of everyone and everything. I look around as I drive through beautiful tree-lined neighborhoods and wonder what it will look like in 200 years. I look around in my living room and wonder about the other 30 or 40 tenants that shared these walls since my apartment building was erected in 1961. Where are they? How many are still alive? And then it pops in my head like a stale balloon....How many have died in here?!?!
Luckily I feel I am on the tail end of this small crisis, tragedy narrowly averted. Curiosity has been reborn. Interests have become reignited. I am starting to feel better than I have in a long time. Both mentally and physically. Maybe 40 is the new 30. Either way, I am still 27. That is the age that has been permanently etched into my psyche, though I become wiser every day. I am fully realized and ready to step into 40 with a smile...knowing that I am moving into an age where I can really make something happen. I have finally shaken the pressures of life. I have come out somewhat unscathed and possesing the knowledge that I need to take life by the neck and fuck it in the face. Or kiss it softly behind the ear and say I love you. It doesn't matter which approach I take. I am running the show. Thank you James Brown....it surely is a man's world.
-W
No comments:
Post a Comment